Monday, July 16, 2007

Summer Training

Thanks for coming to read my first blog post. I'll do my best to update it whenever I do something fun!

For anyone who doesn't know, I am training in Chula Vista, CA for the summer. Southern California if definitely the place to be! The weather is great - nights are a little chilly but other than that, its never really too hot! It hasn't rained here at all, and I got here at the end of May! It's a good thing though, you never have an excuse not to train!

Summer training doesn't require snow or cold weather. I do sprint work on the track and Olympic lifts 5 or 6 days a week. I run anywhere from 10-150 meters. Most of the time its about 40-60m. I am currently in the power phase of my workouts, meaning shorter distance, but more repetition. For weight lifting it's the same thing, the lifts are lighter now, but I end up having to do about 5 sets of 5 for each lift. I train every morning at 9:30 and I am normally finished around 12 or 1PM.

For fun I seem to go wherever anyone with a car is going. The beach is great; I've gone to Coronado, Pacific and Ocean beach. We had a team dinner the other night, and it was great. We ordered fish tacos (yes, I know it doesn't sound too good) and then we sat on the beach and ate as the sun went down. Fish tacos come either grilled or fried with a bunch of different types of fish, I had mine grilled, and they are so good. I was a little skeptical at first but they are a must try for anyone coming out to CA! I've yet to actually swim though, there's a lot of seaweed, but at least the water isn't too cold! Since there is no pool at the training center athletes can get a pool key for one of the local community pools. They're nice during the week because there aren't too many people around. I give tours of the OTC as my job here, so if you have any questions about the training center I'm the girl to ask! I give them 2 or 3 times a week for about 2 hours. It's not a bad deal at all.

I have 4 roommates. 2 Skeleton girls Courtney and Keslie, and 2 Bobsled girls Jamia and Emily. Jamia and Emily are the 2 who I share my bedroom with, Keslie and Courtney are our suit mates. Its not too bad with the 5 of us though, we have a common room with a tv and a nice balcony with a table and chairs outside. 2 bathrooms - which is a huge plus!

Thats all I have for now, but I will post some good daily activities in the next few days! If I missed anything write a comment and I'll be happy to answer!!

Thanks for reading!!

5 comments:

Erin said...

hey annie nice blog, i bet im the first person to read it woo hoo! anyway cali sounds like fun too bad i can't come visit you

Kaitlin said...

Yay a training blog!! Keep up the postings because we're all curious what you do!

Erin said...

i hope you know that the second video on here is john daly not you, i think i have better videos if you need some more, just thought i would let you know

Annie O'Shea said...

Thanks Erin. Yea I noticed it wasn't me, if you have more videos I'd love to have them, could you send them to me?

Kaitlin said...

dude, update us on your training and adventures in CA!