Saturday, December 6, 2008

Drive from Salt Lake City to Calgary

Although everyone was really nervous for me to drive from Salt Lake City to Calgary, I had a great time doing it. Friday, I flew into Salt Lake and left for Calgary Saturday morning at about 7am. Before I even left I was planning to take a nap somewhere along my drive before it got dark because I only got 5 hrs of sleep the night before. (Yet again, I couldn't sleep. Shocking.)

My drive was great; it wasn't too sunny, just overcast, for th
e most part, which was good because driving in the sun always makes me a little more tired. I had fun singing to myself and just looking out the window for the drive. I had planned on just renting an intermediate car, but when I got the counter I was explaining that I would probably be driving in snow. The man who helped me was very nice and he upgraded me to a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I know it's not the best on gas, but I figured it was the best choice in case the interstate roads were bad.

The first state to go through is Idaho. It's a pretty flat state, where I was. I stopped in Idaho Falls for gas. It was perfect for my trip that gas was so cheap. I was able to fill up my jeep for just about $17 or so per fill up.

Here is some more of flat Idaho. I took most of my pictures thinking of Kaitlin, because she always takes pictures on her road trips. I thought I needed to also. I will say it is quite difficult to take pictures and drive when you want to get the picture perfect. The picture below is what it looked like for a few hundred miles. I think the best picture
will be the one to the lower right of the screen. It was the craziest thing. All of a sudden I was looking out my window and saw a truck driving with a man running next to it and cattle herding behind the truck. It was just so insane to me there would be about 10 or so cows then a 50m break then more cows then another break and then more cows with their calves. It looked like there were hundreds of cows coming out of the ranch. I just loved that they followed each other down the side of the ranchers road.


My next stop was a little bit past Butte, Montana for more gas. Now Montana was a little bit better than Idaho; it's more mountainous. I just loved looking out the window and seeing the snow covered mountains. It was really beautiful, at one point I looked out my side view mirror and was just in awe of them. I mean just look at those mountains - that's why it
was such an amazing drive. I was really surprised that I wasn't the least bit tired.
Mom this picture is for you. THE COWS!! Every time I saw cows just freely walking in a field I called them happy cows. There were a few places where the cows didn't look too happy and it made me really sad.

That was basically my drive. Montana got a little flatter but still hilly once I got closer to the border. Crossing the border is always nerve racking to me. For some reason I'm just afraid that they are going to make me pull over and just take up more of my time. It took about 20min as it was though, there was a little bit of a line. I think the worst part of the whole drive is going through Canada. You think once you cross the border Calgary should be an hour away but really it's about three. I did start to get a little sleepy when I was about an hour outside of Calgary.

I made it though, no naps or anything. I did though get a little lost as I got into Calgary. There are two ways to go into the city and for some reason I went the opposite way I knew. I don't really know what came over me. The drive though only took me about 13 and a half hrs, including all my stops. (it helps that my stops were never really longer than 10min). I'm glad I drove up to Calgary it was fun, and I had some good alone time. Which is something that is hard to get when you travel with people and live with them all the time. Quiet time is nice.

Kate and Mom, I hope you like my pictures. I have a few more but I didn't want to make an entire picture post!!


1 comment:

Kaitlin said...

I do love the photos!! especially the state signs! thanks annie!