Thursday, December 11, 2008

Last Week Intercontinental Cup Race #1 Fourth Place

The first intercontinental Cup (ICC) race took place last Thursday in Calgary, Canada. I finished 4th. Not too bad to have a medal finish for my first ICC race of the season.

The competition is very close and places were determined by hundredths. I had two pretty decent runs, just didn't pull everything together enough to get on the podium. I'm happy though with how I did.

I love sliding in Calgary although its always freezing. It was about -16 Fahrenheit on race day with the wind chill. Just imagine standing on the start line in a speedo full body swim suit freezing your butt off. Its actually the worst part of it all. I was lucky enough though when I stood on the line the sun came out, when I took my pants and jacket off I had a false sense of warmth. By corner 12 down the track though your arms are cold and you realize how much you are freezing. Your ready to be done even though you still have 2 corners to go. But you make due, I've learned to deal with the cold. I don't love it, but I do love the sport so I'll make due.

Sorry for the delayed updates. My days get very busy and I loose track of what I posted last.

Directly after the race and the medal ceremony I had my car all packed up, with all my teammates sleds, so they wouldn't have to pay $200 to get their sleds on the plane. I headed back to Utah. I got stuck in 45 min of traffic outside of Calgary. I had one of teammates GPS that I was using since I would be driving back in the dark just so I didn't miss a turn. Well that GPS cursed me. I know how to get back into the states but I was following the GPS and wasn't paying enough attention to the road signs. (the easiest way to go is to take I-15 all the way down). For anyone who doesn't know always check your GPS before you start a trip (I didn't know this) it took me to the border and I knew I was lost, not lost just not where I wanted to be. I entered the US in Glacier National Park. (not the way I wanted to go) The roads up until this point were bad, a little icy, very gusty with a ton of snow. I was already driving slower than I wanted to be. The border agent was so nice and gave me another map to follow and directions back to I-15. I didn't end up using them because I would have had to take so many turns and it was too dark to see everything by myself. So I continued to follow the GPS, which ended up taking me back to I-15 but going through Glacier National Park was insane. I was going about 20-40mph for some of the drive, and was so lucky I had a jeep because of all the snow on the road. If it were the day time I would have loved the drive because I hear it is beautiful, but all I could see was what my headlights lit up.

But do not worry everyone. I made it back to Salt Lake City safe and sound. I stopped in Dillion, MT for a few hours of sleep, just enough to make great time back to Utah. The drive was interesting. I have never been more alert while driving, since I had to pay so much attention to see the road! It was an adventure, it would have been so much fun if someone could have been with me.

I just thought it was such a funny trip. Its crazy the things you do in this sport. I love driving though thats why it was so great! Next time I travel anyone is invited if you have free time and want to keep me company!! Seriously let me know!!

No comments: