Thursday, January 3, 2008

Lake Placid National Championships

Well this was an interesting race overall. I was excited to come back to Lake Placid and slide but at the same time I wanted to stay home with my friends and family. My one goal for training and the race here was to come and have two consistent runs during training and the race. My training runs were within two hundredths of each other each time and that boosted my confidence for the rest of the season.

I was set for the race with 5 girls in it, except since it was so small I don't think I took it as seriously as normal. I normally weigh myself and my sled before every race, and I didn't this time. I always wear a thing pair of race socks but I forgot them in the drawer (pronounced draw so yes some people are laughing I am sure). I was a little off this race day and I'm pretty sure I ate a few too many Hershey kisses while at home.

I had a great first run and I was very excited I did what I wanted, the bottom of the track was almost flawless, the top could have been better but I was focusing on the lower part of the track more. I was in second though only nine hundredths behind Keslie. We weigh our sleds and ourselves after the first run of races. I got on the scale and I was .1 kilogram over the weight limit for the combined weight. I couldn't believe it, I have never been overweight before I was shocked. I tried getting the rest of the snow out of my shoes but I couldn't find the brush anywhere so it was all stuck. I was unofficially disqualified. Lets just say before the second run I wasn't happy, I was really mad especially because I had to use the bathroom before my first run but I decided to wait until I got back to the top, bad idea.

I have never been disqualified from anything in my life, not a track meet, or a tennis match or anything. I guess there really is a first time for everything, kinda crazy. I had a long talk with Orvie, my head coach, after the race he had a great point when he said this is a lesson I had to learn, its unfortunate but we are all glad it happened in a race that isn't a World Cup Race because that would have been the end of the world.

I am spending the rest of the week before we leave for Europe re padding my sled. I am now using waterproof padding because snow always finds its way inside the little cracks and I don't want anything affecting my weight anymore. It takes a long time for my old padding to dry out. We leave on Tuesday the 7th and head to Austria first. I'm very excited to start the second half of the season.

No comments: