Monday, April 6, 2009

2009 America's Cup Champion

Well I had my last race of the season Thursday and Friday. I won Thursdays race by.67 seconds. Its a large margin to win a race by so it felt good. Yesterdays race I finished second, behind my New Zealand friend and competitor Tionette.

Winning the overall America’s cup title was a great way to end the season. I won the circuit in the 2006-2007 season as well, so it was fun to win again.

The weather for these races was just horrible. It was warm and the ice was soft and slow. Never the way you want to race for anything. It is the most difficult ice to drive on. It is easy to do to much, and go really slow.

Thursday’s race went really well, I had a great first run and a decent second run. I had planned on using these last two races as training for races for next season. I think in any race you compete in you can learn something. Whether it be how to keep it together for two runs, and if you are in first how to stay in first, or if you are in second how to pull it together for a great second run. I think day one I did exactly what I had planned to do.

Friday’s race didn’t go as I had wanted. I have been having some back tightness from pushing, and when I woke up I was very uncomfortable. I don’t think my head was completely in the right place, and I wish I had fixed that before the race started. Second was a good finish though. Tionette is a tough competitor and she had a smokin’ fast first run.

I enjoy being friends with the people I compete against. I think it is good to be able to hang out, and get along away from the track.

This race was a great way to end the season.

No comments: